Night Mode Night Mode
Day Mode Day Mode

Prius battery exposes nine employees to toxic fumes

Nine people were exposed to toxic fumes from a Prius battery in Mountain View Thursday afternoon.

The incident was reported at 12:41 p.m., according to a statement issued by Mountain View Fire Department officials. Responders discovered a total of nine ill Nuro employees in two locations, at 1300 Terra Bella Avenue and 1340 West Middlefield Road.

Nuro management responded to reports of a smell at 10:30 a.m. and evacuated the West Middlefield Road building until after lunch when they considered the facility to be safe.

According to the statement, the first signs illness were reported around 12:30 p.m.

Witnesses told officials a Prius was charging in an enclosed space of the building and it was determined the smell was coming from the vehicle’s battery.

The vehicle was unplugged and battery removed.

The Mountain View Fire Hazardous Materials team later tested the facility and deemed it safe for re-entry.

Officials said of the nine ill employees, five were transported to the hospital and four refused care.

Haight Airbnb
Scroll to top