Night Mode Night Mode
Day Mode Day Mode

Disabled mother beaten by son dies

A 51-year-old disabled woman who required hospitalization after being severely beaten by her 11-year-old son has died.

Elk Grove police spokesman officer Chris Trim said that Tracey Gipaya died around 9 p.m. Monday at a local hospital from an existing medical condition not related to injuries suffered as a result of her son’s assault.

Officers visited Gipaya’s house last Monday following a call suggesting possible abuse. They determined that Gipaya’s son, whose identity has not been released due to his age, abused her more than once with an extension cord.

Trim said that the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office will determine the exact cause of death.

The boy, who was his mother’s primary caretaker, was arrested last week and placed in juvenile hall after officers visited him at Foulks Ranch Elementary School.

He faces charges of assault with a deadly weapon and elder abuse.

The boy appeared in court on Monday – as did his biological father, who was hoping to pick his son up from juvenile hall and bring him home to live with him and his girlfriend.

However, the boy’s biological sister from Southern California also appeared in court, arguing that her brother would be in better hands under her care since the father failed to intervene earlier on the youth’s behalf.

Deputy District Attorney Natalia Luna said that while probation would be okay if the minor is released to his sister, her main concern is:

“… the medical condition of the mother and the fact that the father was aware of it and the minor was left in that predicament.”

Juvenile Court Referee Natalie Lindsey decided to release the boy to his father while social services and probation departments assess the situation.

Assistant Public Defender Jeremiah Van Etten, who met with the boy Monday, said both sides will begin to consider what is best in the child’s interest.

Van Etten also said that the father is very capable of caring for the boy because he’s been very active in his son’s life.

Though the boy’s sister refused to comment as she left the courtroom in tears, the father said the court made the right decision.

Haight Airbnb
Scroll to top