A protest in San Francisco remained largely peaceful on Sunday night after a curfew took effect at 8 p.m., said Police Chief Bill Scott Monday.

Demonstrators in The City continued to protest the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis after officer Derek Chauvin was seen in a video putting his knee on Floyd’s neck.

Ching Wong/SFBay San Francisco Police Chief William Scott, center, prays during a Justice for George Floyd rally at City Hall in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, June 1, 2020. (Ching Wong/SFBay.ca)

Protests have taken across the nation and Bay Area demanding police departments officers to be held accountable for violent actions taken against people of color.

In The City, Scott estimated a total of 5,000 to 6,000 people protesting during daytime hours.

The San Francisco Police Department last night received extra resources, including more than 200 additional officers from around the state, to help with potential looting, vandalism and violence. 

Christopher Michel/Flickr A mostly-empty Market Street is seen after 8 p.m. on the first night of citywide curfew in San Francisco, Calif. on Sunday, May 31, 2020.

Mayor London Breed had said Sunday that she made the request from the state to help provide extra officers. 

Scott said Monday morning at a press conference that the extra help provided on Sunday was tremendously helpful as police were overwhelmed on Saturday night:

“We have a long way to go and there’s still a lot going on but yesterday was a good day.”

Police in total arrested 87 and cited 33 individuals for violating The City’s 8 p.m. curfew Sunday night, Scott said.

While the protest was mostly peaceful, Scott said there were some violent acts against officers, including a person hitting an officer with a skateboard and one person attempting to use a type of stun gun device on an officer.

The chief said there were individuals at the protest whose sole purpose was to cause damage to The City based on what the items they brought them to the protest, including a loaded firearm, a backpack full of fireworks and explosives:

“We will not embrace violence against anyone, against other protesters, against police officers, against property. We will not accept that.”

At City Hall, protesters remained after the curfew and officers issued a dispersal order. Scott said officers faced some hostility after the dispersal order was given and a gave ample time for people to leave before arrests were made.

Sheriff Paul Miyamoto said 64 people arrested on both infractions and misdemeanors were cited and released. Currently, 23 persons are at the department’s intake and release center.

While The City’s jail population has increased due from the last couple of days, Miyamoto said that jail capacity is still around 50 percent.

Fire Chief Jeanine Nicholson said the Fire Department received 140 emergency service calls during the curfew hours and 50 calls related to fires and 20 fires extinguished.

A curfew in The City still remains in effect from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Scott said:

“I understand, believe me, how restrictive this is. This is almost unprecedented in this city.”

Earlier today, Breed joined actor Jamie Foxx and interfaith city leaders in front of City Hall in a “kneel-down” protest against the killing of Floyd.

Jerold Chinn
Jerold Chinn is the San Francisco Bureau Chief of SFBay. A San Francisco native, he has spent a decade covering transportation in San Francisco. Send tips to jerold@sfbay.ca or at Twitter @Jerold_Chinn.

Dozens arrested, businesses damaged in overnight East Bay looting incidents

Previous article

District attorneys seek limits on police union campaign donations

Next article

You may also like

More in News