An employee of a San Jose restaurant that sustained damages in a Friday afternoon fire has started a GoFundMe campaign to help get the restaurant operating again.
Lindsey Leong, an employee of Jackie’s Place, which she described as the South Bay’s only soul food restaurant, said:
“At this time I am asking the community to donate whatever they can to support Ms. Jackie and the Jackie’s Place family in uncertain times so we can reopen for you!!!!! We love you all.”
The fire started as a grease fire in the restaurant’s barbecue pit, and then spread, Leong wrote. This happened, she said, the day after owner Jackie Johnson reopened the restaurant to carryout and delivery service.
As of Saturday night, the GoFundMe account had collected $3,579 toward its $5,000 goal.
The restaurant first opened in November 2018.