0

San Francisco is following in the footsteps of Santa Clara County with a moratorium on all large events of 1,000 people or more. The ban is expected to last for an initial two-week period in an effort to slow the spread of the 2019 novel coronavirus, or Covid-19.

The prohibition goes into effect immediately and will impact basketball games and other events held at the Chase Center, city officials said at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

Mayor London Breed said:

“Every opportunity we have to make changes that are going to protect public health, including this moratorium, we will do exactly that.”

Before The City issued the moratorium, health officials made recommendations on March 6 to cancel large social gatherings, such as sporting events, concerts and large community events.

Despite recommendations made by health officials, the Golden State Warriors continued on, playing a game with a crowd in attendance Tuesday.

Breed said:

“The Warriors did what they wanted to do and they didn’t the follow the recommendation, but they were well within their right to do what they did and that is why we provided definitively that this should not be happening.”

Chase Center officials tweeted that tomorrow’s Warriors game against the Brooklyn Nets will happen, but without fans in attendance. Another basketball game, Santa Cruz Warriors vs. Austin Spurs, will instead be played in Santa Cruz.

Ching Wong/SFBay A view from the third level of Chase Center, new arena of the Golden State Warriors, in Mission Bay in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, August 26, 2019. (Ching Wong/SFBay)

Fans who previously bought tickets to those games will be refunded, according to Chase Center officials.

A Friday Tame Impala concert at Chase Center was postponed — officials have not yet determined if upcoming Post Malone and Bell Biv Devoe shows will be canceled or postponed. 

The San Francisco Giants also announced Wednesday that they will not play the Oakland A’s during an exhibition game at Oracle Park on March 24.

San Francisco Unified School District Update

San Francisco Superintendent Vincent Matthews provided updates on measures the school district is taking to protect students and staff.

At this time, there is no need for widespread school closures, city health officials said.

Understanding some parents are choosing to keep their children home, the district is excusing absences for a two-week period. Matthews suggests that students with chronic illnesses consult their health care providers for advice related to school attendance.

Students, teachers and staff have been told to remain home if they are feeling ill.

School officials said they providing campuses with hygiene supplies and making sure teachers instruct students on how to properly wash their hands.

Matthews said:

“Our goal is to keep our doors open as long as possible.”

He added that parents should visit the district website for announcements and updates as the situation continues to change daily.

In the event of school closures, Matthews said the school district is exploring how to provide “online distance learning” that ensures all students have remote class access.

Jerold Chinn
Jerold Chinn covers transportation and City Hall in San Francisco. Jerold is a San Francisco native who works out of City Hall and rides Muni every single day to work. Email: jerold@sfbay.ca. Twitter: @Jerold_Chinn

Nurses push back against CDC’s weakened coronavirus containment protocols

Previous article

Elderly man shoots caretaker

Next article

You may also like

More in Health