An 18-year-old Concord High School student who was struck by a hit-and-run driver in Concord Monday night has died, according to a statement issued Thursday by Mount Diablo Unified School District.
The victim has been identified as Joe Barratt, a high school student described in the statement as a “kind and thoughtful young man.”
Barratt had just gotten off of a bus when he was hit by a vehicle on Port Chicago Highway near the eastbound Highway 4 on-ramp. He was taken to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek with critical injuries. The driver fled the scene.
California Highway Patrol officials said Tuesday that a vehicle and person of interest had been identified but no further information has been given.
According to Thursday’s statement, Concord High School is offering grief counselors for students and they will keep the community aware of upcoming services and memorials.
A GoFundMe page has been established to help the family cope with financial strain associated with his loss.
The district said:
“He will be missed by many.”
Anyone with information about the accident is asked to call the CHP’s Contra Costa office at (925) 646-4980.
CORRECTION: A previous version of this article misspelled Joe Barratt’s name as Barrett. It has since been corrected for accuracy and now also includes a link to the family’s GoFundMe page.