The Vallejo Police Department was evacuated Thursday morning because of a carbon monoxide leak, police said.
Dispatchers reported a rotten egg smell around 5:15 a.m., and the Vallejo Fire Department determined it was from carbon monoxide, fire department spokesman Kevin Brown said.
Six employees had low levels of carbon monoxide in their system but they quickly recovered, Brown said.
The carbon monoxide came from a bank of batteries that are used when electric power fails and power is transferred between generators, Brown said.
A Solano County hazardous materials team was preparing to enter the building around 10:30 a.m. Police dispatch services were switched to the Solano County Sheriff’s Office’s dispatch center and other emergency response agencies, Brown said.
The front lobby of the Police Department located at 111 Amador St. is closed, and Amador Street is closed from Georgia Street to Solano Avenue, police said.
Bay City News is a 24/7 news service covering the greater Bay Area. © 2022 Bay City News, Inc. All rights reserved. Republication, rebroadcast or redistribution without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.