Digging by a third party contractor was the cause of a natural gas leak that closed off El Camino Real at Monroe Street in Santa Clara on Monday afternoon and prompted a shelter-in-place order, a PG&E spokeswoman said. The leak was reported about 2:25 p.m. and a PG&E gas service representative arrived about 13 minutes later and worked with first responders to assure the area was safe.
The flow of gas was stopped at 4:13 p.m. and PG&E then restored service to the one customer affected, said spokeswoman Carly Hernandez. Anyone who suspects a gas leak should use a phone away from the location to call 911 and report the leak to PG&E at (800) 743-5000.
Gas line break El Camino at Monroe. ECR shut down between Lafayette and Lincoln. Unknown closure length at this time. Please avoid the area. #firefighters and PGE working to mitigate the leak. KFC evacuated and shelter in place order for Madison Place. pic.twitter.com/2MsRIcIraO
— Santa Clara CA Fire (@SantaClaraFD) June 3, 2019
Bay City News is a 24/7 news service covering the greater Bay Area. © 2022 Bay City News, Inc. All rights reserved. Republication, rebroadcast or redistribution without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.