Night Mode Night Mode
Day Mode Day Mode

94-year-old dies as alarm sounds

An elderly man found dead at a residence in San Francisco’s Parkside neighborhood Wednesday¬†morning has been identified, according to the medical examiner’s office.

Firefighters responded to a carbon monoxide alarm that was reported at 5:08 a.m. at a multi-unit residential building at 1255 Taraval St. that had apparently been sounding for hours, according to fire officials.

Aron Grabois, a 94-year-old San Francisco resident, was declared dead at the scene, according to the medical examiner’s office. A second person was transported to a hospital with injuries not considered life-threatening, fire officials said.

Fire officials were not able to release information about the cause of Grabois’ death or information about injuries suffered by the person transported to the hospital.

PG&E crews responded to the scene at about 5:50 a.m. to inspect the building. PG&E spokesman Jason King said that when PG&E crews arrived at the building, firefighters had already aired out the building and there was no evidence of high levels of carbon monoxide in the air.

King said an inspection of the apartment building found no gas leaks. He said a check of the building’s gas appliances, such as stoves, is underway.

According to King, PG&E officials were told that the elderly man who died had suffered a heart attack during the evacuation of the builidng.

He said Grabois’ wife, who was in the same unit at the time, exited the building uninjured. King said this incident highlights the need for safe appliances and said anyone who would like PG&E to come to their homes to inspect their gas appliances or light their pilots for the winter months can call PG&E at (800) 743-5000 to schedule a free inspection.

Haight Airbnb
Scroll to top