Potentially explosive gas leak contained


A leaking container of potentially explosive gas was contained safely after prompting the evacuation of a Newark gas company Wednesday morning, a fire battalion chief said.

The fire department’s hazardous materials team responded at 7:13 a.m. to the Matheson Tri-Gas facility at 6775 Central Ave., Alameda County fire Battalion Chief Stephanie Radecke said.

An alarm indicated a 5-foot gas cylinder containing diborane was leaking and there was condensation on the tank and other evidence it was leaking, Radecke said. The building was evacuated and the tank was contained inside so there was no threat to the environment, Radecke said.

The hazmat team then entered the building this morning to move the tank to a secure containment area. After determining the gas had been properly contained and stabilized, Matheson employees were allowed to reenter the building and resume work, Radecke said.

Streets were shut down in the area as firefighters responded. No injuries were reported in the incident.

SFO first responders drill for plane crash

Previous article

Bicyclist hit by car suffers head injury

Next article

You may also like

More in News