A group of rural and urban leaders is urging the state legislature to act on Gov. Gavin Newsom’s three-year, $7 billion plan in the June 15 budget to close California’s digital divide.
The plan would use mostly federal relief money to build a statewide, fiber-optic broadband network to connect the 51 percent of rural households that have no high-speed options.
The group will hold an online news conference at noon Tuesday to state their cause — the conference will be accessible via Zoom.
The participants will include:
- Cindy Chavez, Santa Clara County supervisor
- John Chiang, California Forward Leadership Council co-chair
- John Peters, Mono County supervisor
- Bill Allen, LA Economic Development Corporation CEO
- David Rattray, UNITE-LA CEO
Additional speakers will be named later.