Here are some of the latest developments around the region related to the novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, as of Thursday morning.
All Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority light rail train service has been shut down indefinitely after a light rail operator trainee tested posted for COVID-19. The agency is working on determining the extent of exposure.
A person who works at Oakland International Airport tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus. The person is a gate agent who last worked Sunday in Terminal 2 at gates 23, 25, 26 and 27 that day. The individual is not an employee of the airport or the Port of Oakland, which owns and operates the airport.
Two San Francisco police officers have tested positive for the novel coronavirus and more than two dozen others have been ordered to self-quarantine as of Wednesday.
Four Contra Costa County Fire Protection District employees have tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus. Eighteen Con Fire employees were tested after showing symptoms such as fever, cough and sore throats, but 12 were confirmed negative while two others are isolated and off-duty while awaiting test results.
The Alameda County Public Health Department updated their COVID-19 information page Thursday to report an additional two virus-related deaths. Further details about the victims have not yet been provided.
Health officers and superintendents in six Bay Area counties announced an extension of the region’s school closure through May 1 to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus. The closure extension will affect schools overseen by the Alameda County Office of Education, Contra Costa County Office of Education, Marin County Office of Education, San Francisco Unified School District, San Mateo County Office of Education and the Santa Clara County Office of Education.
As of Thursday at 9:30 a.m., officials have confirmed the following number of cases in the greater Bay Area region:
- Alameda County: 164 cases, 4 deaths (164 cases, 2 deaths at last check Wednesday)
- City of Berkeley: 14 cases
- Contra Costa County: 108 cases, 1 death (86 cases, 1 death as of Wednesday)
- Marin County: 60 cases (53 on Wednesday)
- Monterey County: 24 cases, 1 death (24 cases, 1 death on Wednesday)
- Napa County: 6 cases (3 on Wednesday)
- San Francisco County: 223 cases, 2 deaths (178 cases, 1 death on Wednesday)
- San Mateo County: 195 cases, 5 deaths (165 cases, 5 deaths as of Wednesday)
- Santa Clara County: 459 cases, 17 deaths (375 cases, 16 deaths as of Wednesday)
- Santa Cruz County: 25 cases (24 on Wednesday)
- Solano County: 31 cases (24 on Wednesday)
- Sonoma County: 39 cases, 1 death (37 cases, 1 death on Wednesday)
- Statewide: 2,535 cases, 53 deaths (2,102 cases, 40 deaths as of Wednesday)