Night Mode Night Mode
Day Mode Day Mode

Pool chemicals caused hazmat incident in Benicia garage

Pool chemicals that mixed accidentally caused a hazardous materials incident in a Benicia garage Monday, a fire division chief said Wednesday.

A liquid acid and granular calcium mixed when one of the chemicals fell off a shelf in the garage at a residence at 509 Viewmont St., Benicia Fire Division Chief K.C. Smith said.

The mixture caused an odor and vapor, fire officials said.

The incident was reported around 11:30 a.m. Monday. Police closed Viewmont Street between East Fifth and Lindo streets, nearby residents sheltered in place and the residents of the home were evacuated.

A Solano County hazardous materials team responded and neutralized the mixture around 3 p.m. Viewmont Street reopened about 20 minutes later.

Haight Airbnb
Scroll to top