Two residents and a firefighter suffered injuries in a two-alarm fire Saturday in San Jose, a fire captain said.
The first report of the fire came in at 4:29 p.m. in the 3100 block of Marten Avenue, a fire dispatcher said.
The fire started in a bedroom of a one-story, single-family home and spread to the attic, fire Capt. Mitch Matlow said. The fire blew out a window of the bedroom causing flames to shoot out and melting the vinyl of an adjacent home, he said.
But firefighters kept the fire from doing any more damage to the adjacent home and the residents were not displaced, Matlow said.
The burning home posed a challenge for firefighters because it had bars on the windows and doors and a steel roof, he said.
The fire displaced six residents of the home and two dogs. Two residents suffered minor injuries, he said.
They were treated outside the home and refused transportation by ambulance to a hospital, Matlow said.
The injured firefighter is being treated at a hospital and is expected to make a full recovery, he said.